Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Farsley Celtic FC app


Farsley Celtic First Team - Match centre

Nantwich Town
Farsley Celtic
Sat 6 Oct 15:00 - The Evo-Stik League - Premier Division Full time Attendance 335

Match Report: Nantwich Town 2-1 Farsley Celtic


Celts defeated in Cheshire

The Celts went down 2-1 to the Dabbers but will still be scratching their heads as to how they came away from the Weaver Stadium without anything from the game.

Nantwich had the first opportunity of the game after three minutes, when the lively Mwasile broke down the right and his cross found Callum Saunders, who fired over. The Celts responded just three minutes later when from Lewis Turner’s cross, Ben Atkinson headed in, only for it be rule offside. Farsley were looking positive in the opening stages and on nine minutes Paul Walker put in a dangerous cross, only for it to be scrambled away. The Celts continues to dominate possession but couldn’t find the killer touch in the box and therefore it was somewhat against the run of play that the home side went ahead after twenty minutes. James Lawrie collected the ball on the edge of the box and fired into the bottom corner.

Farsley’s responses was a positive one, with good play providing George Hornshaw with a shooting chance which was deflected just wide on twenty-four minutes. Just three minutes later the Celts sprung Town’s offside trap only for Nantwich skipper Stairs to clear the danger. Town though were still a threat on the counter and on the half hour mark, Trenerry did well to save from Saunders.

The game then entered a quieter phase and it wasn’t until the final minutes of the half that there was any significant action. On forty-three minutes following a couple of soft free-kicks, the ball was played in and Stairs at the far post was able to guide his header into the net to double the Dabbers advantage. Farsley though got a lifeline before the break, as a minute into time added-on, Jimmy Spencer latched onto a through ball and neatly lobbed Spiess to make it 2-1.

The Celts were quick out of the blocks in the second-half and were nearly level in the opening minute of the restart. A neat move involving Turner and Spencer saw Walker played in, with his effort going narrowly wide. Two more positive Farsley moves in the following two minutes saw Nantwich continue to thwart the danger with resolute defending. Town were now playing solely on the break and Mwasile had a good on fifty-two minutes that the Celts managed to block.

Farsley though were continuing to create chances and on fifty-seven minutes Isaac Baldwin had a great shooting opportunity which was fired wide. Four minutes later and another Celts chance was created with Walker shooting wide. Nanthwich though as ever during the game were dangerous on the break and nearly made it 3-1 on sixty-three minutes, as Morgan burst through with Cooke just not able to convert the cross.

With the game approaching the final fifteen minutes, Celts made a double change as they went in search of an equaliser, with Luke Parkin and Nathan Cartman replacing George Hornshaw and Will Hayhurst. This final period continued to be a spell of Celts pressure and chances created. With seventy-eight minutes on the clock, two Dabbers defenders collided allowing Spencer to break into the box, but not for the first time on the afternoon Town somehow scrambled it clear. Into the last ten minutes and it became one-way traffic, as Nathan Cartman found himself through only for Spiess to get out and smother his shot on eighty-two minutes. The Celts were camped in the Town half and with five minutes left Luke Parkin fired wide from the edge of the box. Three minutes later and Jack Higgins had a shot deflected agonisingly wide. Still the Celts weren’t done and with four minutes of time added-on, two more chances came and went. On ninety-two minutes the ball broke to Adam Clayton, but his effort was well wide of the mark, then in the final minute of stoppage time, Jack Higgins drove in a shot which was incredibly close to being the leveller.

At the whistle it was Nantwich who had taken the three points, but for Farsley it was just one of those days that it was never going to go in. The Celts had no luck on the day and can only hope that fortune is more kind when they make the trip to Stafford Rangers on Tuesday night.

Nantwich Town: Spiess, Morgan, Barnes (Bell 51’), Stair (c), Bourne, Mullarky, Mwasile, Lawrie, Saunders (Jones 81’), Cooke, Knight (Makin 54’)

Unused subs: Phillips, Hawkins (GK)

Farsley Celtic: Trenerry, Lewis Turner, Baldwin (Britton 86’), Chris Atkinson, Higgins, Clayton (c), Ben Atkinson, Hornshaw (Parkin 75’), Spencer, Walker, Hayhurst (Cartman 75’)
Unused subs: Hall (GK), Bett

Attendance: 335

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

League round up

Other Premier Division results

South Shields
Stafford Rangers
Scarborough Athletic
Whitby Town


Loading comments

League table

# Team Pl Pts
1. Farsley Celtic 40 90
2. South Shields 40 87
3. Warrington Town 40 84
4. Nantwich Town 40 69
5. Buxton 40 66
6. Gainsborough Trinity 40 65
7. Basford United 40 61

Team sponsors


Club sponsors