Report: Darlington 2-4 Farsley Celtic

Report: Darlington 2-4 Farsley Celtic

By Ed McIntyre
15 March 2020
Share via

The Celt Army secured all three points in a six-goal thriller at Blackwell Meadows, writes Ed McIntyre.

Farsley Celtic went into the game looking to bounce back from two defeats in a row, but Darlington dominated the early stages as they pushed for the opener, with Jarrett Rivers’ attempted flick being blocked before Terry Galbraith headed a corner just over the bar.

Jimmy Spencer produced a great save from Chris Elliott in the Darlington goal, but moments later the hosts found the breakthrough. Omar Holness got the better of Josh Barnes, taking the ball around the goalkeeper before tapping home.

The hosts pushed for a second goal, with Adam Campbell producing a fine fingertip save from Barnes with his volley. However, minutes later Darlington gifted the visitors the lead through a mistake from Elliott, leading to Dave Syers scoring into an empty net.

Darlington tried to get their noses back in front before the break, with Will Hatfield shooting just wide from the edge of the area before Barnes pulled off a strong save to keep out Hatfield’s long-range effort, ensuring the score remained 1-1 heading into half-time.

Alun Armstrong’s side continued their dominance in the early stages of the second half, and they were awarded a penalty by referee Andy Sykes just five minutes in after Holness was brought down in the box. Campbell stepped up and scored from the spot to put Darlington back ahead.

The home side continued to apply pressure. Holness played through Rivers who produced a strong one-handed save from Barnes before Campbell fired just wide as he aimed for the top left corner from distance.

Despite the dominance from the hosts, it was Farsley who managed to score next. Syers lifted a ball over the top to Spencer who smashed in a stunning volley to equalise for the Celts with twenty minutes to go.

Holness thought he had put Darlington back into the lead just minutes later though, however fortunately for Farsley the offside flag was up.

And moments later it was Farsley who found themselves in front. Will Hayhurst delivered a free-kick into the box which goalkeeper Chris Elliott misjudged the flight of, Elliott then palmed the ball onto the crossbar and Syers was there to tap home the rebound to give Adam Lakeland’s side a 3-2 lead.

The Celts pushed for the killer blow and came close when Spencer’s header was cleared off the line. However, they managed to find a fourth goal five minutes from the end of normal time. Luke Parkin delivered in a free-kick which was met by captain Adam Clayton who headed home to secure the double over Darlington and a much-needed win for Farsley.

Darlington: Elliott, Hedley (86’ Reid), Liddle, Wheatley (86’ Martin), Laing, Galbraith (C), Rivers (82’ Thompson), Hatfield, Campbell, Holness, Donawa. Unused subs: Watson, Atkinson.

Farsley Celtic: Barnes, Richards, Hayhurst, C. Atkinson, Cogill, Clayton (C), B. Atkinson (71’ Cartman), Syers, Spener, Parkin (90’ Maltby), Walton. Unused subs: Bower, Ellis, Bett

Attendance: 1, 318

Share via